Sunday, April 25, 2010

Ask the Butler

At long last, I’m back. I’ve caught up on my sleep and I’m back to writing.  Much has happened since my last post, I left my job in San Francisco and I’ve moved to New York to start my business. Stay tuned for more details! I hope you enjoy this edition of “Ask the Butler.”

I have been invited to a CD release party at a fairly wealthy family's home.  There was no mention of the dress code on the invitation.  What should the default be?  And does that include shoes?

Dress code is always tricky when it’s not specified, so what’s one to do? Use your best judgment, keeping the following in mind:
·      What time is the party scheduled? The evening requires a “dressier” outfit than a daytime party.
·      If you know the host, take a cue from how they might dress and go from there. Do be careful, however, not to go too far off of the beaten path with your fashion (if that’s the regular dress of your host, let them own that one!).
·      Generally speaking, shoes are considered part of getting dressed to visit the house of your host. A lady or gentleman would never answer their door with bare feet, so you shouldn’t show up without shoes yourself! If, however, you are an African tribesman and your dress attire does not include footwear, by all means go without.
·      If the party is held during the week and no indication of dress code is given, you can assume business attire. This will vary by region. Business attire in San Francisco is suits with no tie, or slacks and blazer with no tie, while in New York it would be suit and tie.

Cocktails before dinner, when is it appropriate to serve a chilled sherry?  Any favorites?

There are two types of sherry, fino and Oloroso. Fino sherry is pale, light and best served before dinner, chilled. Oloroso is aged longer, sweeter, and more robust, making it a better choice for dessert or an after dinner drink.
For a Sherry aperatif, try a Sherry Cobbler, described by pioneering mixologist Harry Johnson in 1882 as “without doubt the most popular beverage in the country, with ladies as well as with gentlemen.”

Sherry Cobbler
1.    4 oz  fino Sherry
2.    ½ tablespoon superfine sugar (also called “Baker’s Sugar”)
3.    Slice of orange
4.    Berries
a.    Cut a slice of orange about an 1/8 of an inch thick, then cut it in half
b.    Muddle the orange slice and a few of the berries gently in a cocktail shaker.
c.    Fill shaker with ice and add the sherry and the sugar.
d.    Shake and pour, unstrained, into a tall glass and artfully place a few pieces of fruit on top.
e.    Serve and hark back to the time when this was the most popular drink in the country!


I am having a group of about 10 adults over to dinner, but their eating habits are all over the map (one's a vegetarian, one keeps kosher, etc.).  What is the best way to accommodate them all?

When entertaining it’s important to keep in mind what you goal is. Simply, it is to make your guests feel comfortable and at home in your home. You want to accommodate all of your guests without killing yourself.
It’s best to have something that each distinctive guest can eat. For my Kosher guest, I would find a local Kosher deli or restaurant and serve them something from there. Your friend will be quite pleased that you made the effort to accommodate their special diet.
For the vegetarians, I would include one or two dishes that are vegetarian that everyone would like, maybe guacamole and a crudite platter. For serving dinner to the vegetarians, I would simply leave the meat (or fish, etc.) off of the plate and serve them a little larger serving of the side dish and vegetable.
Make sure to plan the quantity of your side dish and veggies accordingly if that will be the main course for your vegetarian friends.


6 comments:

  1. Fabulous post!
    Congratulations on the move and on the start of your new endeavour!
    So glad you are back, you have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you in the big apple! I love the Q&A post. And I think I need to have more sherry in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi and welcome back. Good luck on your new endeavor, I am sure you will be most successful in NYC. Please keep up your posts, they are sorely needed by the new generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in NYC. I've bookmarked your blog...nice change from the regulars I read. Congrats on your new baby daughter...love those cheeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, and welcome back. Great post, love the perspective on shoes. Reggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I discovered your blog a month or two ago, was obsessed, and then was so disappointed that you were on hiatus. Incredibly excited the hiatus is now over!

    ReplyDelete