Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Service All-Stars - Turnbull and Asser





One of my favorite places to shop is the Turnbull and Asser store on East 57th St. in New York. The facade is beautiful, as is the inside. I'm pretty sure it was once a townhouse, and one I would love to have lived in! I have been shopping there for close to 10 years, mainly for the gentlemen that I have worked for, but I have a few select pieces of my own.

For those of you who don't know "T & A," they are the venerable English shirtmaker of the British banking set as well as the NY power-broker set. They have been the shirtmaker to successive Princes of Wales since 1885. They are best known for their brightly colored bespoke shirts, but they also make custom suits, knitwear, neckwear, rain coats, pajamas, as well as a beautiful collection of ready-made clothing for both men and women.

I mention Turnbull and Asser because of their high level of service. I have been dealing with the same gentleman, Simon Hobbs, since the first time I walked into the store. He's moved to the Beverly Hills store, but I often still call New York for service. Anyone who answers the phone can help me. They have a great collection of records and can quickly pull up the measurements and notes of whoever I am buying for.

I called a couple of weeks ago because I had sent an email to the gentleman that I had been dealing with and I was following up. The laundress had brought me a shirt of the Mr.'s that was starting to show wear on the cuffs. Knowing that T & A replaces cuffs and collars on their shirts, I sent a photo of the shirt to see if they still had the fabric. A lovely woman, Lisa Riccardo, answered the phone and let me know that my usual contact no longer worked there. She was able to help me and left no gap in the continuity of service that I have had. I re-sent the email to her and she informed me that the fabric was no longer available, but that we could always put white cuffs on the shirt if I wanted. See, she didn't say no! She gave me an option and let me say no. My current boss wouldn't like the white cuffs, but one of my previous bosses would have.

I'm always thrilled with the service I receive at Turnbull and Asser. When I can afford to have bespoke shirts, they'll be from T & A! Until then, I can count on getting the best service when purchasing for my boss.

When in New York, visit them at 42 E. 57th St. When in Beverly Hills, visit them at 9633 Brighton Way. You could tell Lisa or Simon that I sent you, but you won't need to, as you'll get great service from the whole staff as a matter of course!

Visit them on the web at www.turnbullandasser.com

6 comments:

  1. Agreed, T&A is a great favorote of mine as well. Just stumbled on your blog today and am rather enjoying it! Thanks -- Reggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard great things about them but haven't had the pleasure. Perhaps I will splurge on a bespoke shirt for my husband? We've had a couple made in Atlanta, but they've just been OK. (he has very long arms and a thin neck so shirts are difficult!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS- love the idea of the fruit tray for guests! You'll have to ask Jillie how I was at hostessing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! And not the least of my attachment is that my Mother is a Turnbull!

    Alright, Butler. My Husband and I came looking for you because we have become so attached to your comments. Josh came home one day and said, "We've got to find that Butler commenter, that's someone who would be great to invite for drinks: smart and interesting." So true. And now I am here and so sad to see you are so far away. Will you keep in touch and let me know when you get to the east? Don't you agree Reggie? Best, Catherine (the Blushing Blogs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. SA - I'll check in with Jillie to see how you did, I'm sure you're a wonderful hostess!
    Catherine - I'm glad you found me. I love your blog and I hope you enjoy mine as well. I wish we lived in the east and could join you for drinks. We'll let you know when we're out there to visit and maybe we could all get together for drinks and dinner (You and your husband, Reggie and Boy?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Butler and Blushing,
    Sign me and Boy up for drinks! We're on for this, great idea. LOTS to talk about while imbibing.
    Reggie

    PS do both of you please comment on my latest post "Maids Should Wear Uniforms", temperatures are rising, indeed!

    ReplyDelete