Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ask the Butler!

A few months ago I asked a few friends to send me some questions that they would ask a butler. I had fun with the questions and enjoyed the exercise. I would love your questions as well. Send them to me directly at jared@jaredmiles.com. I hope you learn something and will contact me with questions that I can answer to make your life easier and more efficient!

The men's pocket square: Linen, does it need to be sent out to be professionally laundered or can this be accomplished with a regular iron? Recommendation on a fold pattern?

I like to launder and press my linen and cotton pocket squares myself. Cotton pocket squares I wash with like colors. I use hot water for my white ones, warm water for dark colors and cold water for bright colors that may have a tendency to fade (purple, red, etc.).

Linen can be washed in similar fashion, although it’s safer to use warm water, as using hot water every time that you wash your “squares” will weaken the fibers. Then dry them in the dryer and remove them while they are still damp. (You can omit this step if you will soak your squares in liquid starch). Over-drying can also compromise the integrity of the linen fibers.

At this point, it’s time to starch your square (for both linen and cotton – not silk!). I always use Sta-Flo brand liquid starch. It’s concentrated and is intended to be mixed with water to give you your desired “crispness.” For pockets squares, I recommend a ratio of one part starch to 6 parts water. Mix in any container that is suitable (and clean!) and soak you squares. Remove them and squeeze the liquid out of them and allow to dry until damp (you can dry them in the dryer until damp if you’re in a hurry).

Finally, it’s time to iron them. I always iron them into a square (fold in half, then in half again). Use a good steam iron at high heat. I like Rowenta irons, although they can be pretty expensive. Many of my housekeepers like the Black and Decker that is $29.99 at our local hardware store. Iron from the center out, making sure to pull the edges as you iron to get a crisp, straight edge.

To fold, I generally like to first fold the square into thirds (or so, making it thin enough to fit into my jacket pocket) and then fold from the bottom up an inch or two, making it just tall enough to sit an inch outside of the jacket pocket.

House Cleaning: what is the best solution for cleaning windows if you want to stay "green?"

I like to use a solution of equal parts white vinegar and hot water. It’s less toxic than ammonia and won’t discolor aluminum window frames, or react with window putty. I also use a squeegee rather than paper towels, and wipe my squeegee with a thick, absorbent cloth. You can also use just hot water with a few drops of dish soap. In that case, if streaks occur, use less soap. Both solutions can be transferred into spray bottles if desired.

When traveling with a packed bag, better to have shirts laundered on a hanger with a garment bag or should one have shirts folded?

I have for many years had all of my shirts laundered and on hangers. When I travel I pick a few shirts to take and I usually put them in a folding garment bag if I am travelling by aircraft. The problem is that I always end up touching up my shirts when I arrive at my destination. If I had the foresight to choose my shirts before I travelled, or kept some of my shirts aside for travelling, I’d have them folded at the dry cleaners. If you are going to wear the shirts with a jacket, the only part that is visible is the front of the shirt, from the navel to the neck. With folded shirts, that part is perfectly ironed! If I’m travelling by automobile, I hang the shirts in a garment bag and I wouldn’t do that differently if I had the aforementioned foresight!

No comments:

Post a Comment